1) Trump almost filed for bankruptcy in 1990, due to massive personal and business debts. A significant amount of debt was garnered from financing the Taj Mahal, one of Trump’s casinos acquired in 1988, through high-interest junk bonds. However, he ceded 50 percent ownership of the casino to the original bondholders, who lowered Trump’s interest rates and extended the loan so Trump had more time to pay off the debt. Today, Trump owns more than 100 companies and his net worth is approximately $4 billion.
2) Trump World Tower, a residential skyscraper in Manhattan, has 72 completed floors (but lists 90 stories in the elevator panel). Before 21st Century Tower in Dubai and Tower Place 3 in Seoul were built, Trump World Tower was the largest residential building in the world.
3) Trump was the original owner of New Jersey Generals of the United States Football League. Trump sold the franchise to J. Walter Duncan in 1983 so he would be free to complete various construction projects.
4) Trump hosted his own reality TV show, “The Apprentice,” starting in 2004 on NBC. The purpose of the show is to eliminate contestants in order to find a head for one of Trump’s companies. Trump was paid $375,000 per episode of the show.
5) Trump doesn’t drink alcohol. His older brother struggled with alcohol throughout his life. “I learned a lot from my brother, Fred,” Trump said in an interview with Steve Forbes. “He set an example. It wasn’t, maybe, the example that people would think, but it really was, in its own way, an example. That here was this fantastic guy, who got caught up in the alcohol, and he ultimately died from alcoholism.”
6) Trump’s parents sent him to the New York Military Academy when he was 13 because he was an energetic child. They thought the institution would teach him some discipline. He graduated from the military academy in 1964 before continuing his education at Fordham University and eventually, the University of Pennsylvania.
7) In 2007, Trump received his own Hollywood Walk of Fame star for his role as producer of “The Apprentice.” His star was the 2,327th added to the Walk of Fame.
1. She is only the second US first lady in American history to be born outside the US – in Slovenia.
2. Trump is also the only first lady to have grown up in a Communist country, when Slovenia was part of Yugoslavia.
3. Melania Trump is the only first lady to be the third wife of a US president. Donald Trump was previously married to Ivana Trump until 1992 and Marla Maples until 1999.
4. She is also the only first lady whose first language was not English.
5. Melania Trump is a noted polyglot. She can speak more languages than any first lady before her: English, French, German, Italian and Serbian, in addition to her native Slovenian.
6. The US first lady was a successful model, known for her appearances in Sports Illustrated, Vanity Fair, Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar and GQ. She is also the only first lady to have posed nude for magazines, including a British GQ photo spread in 2000.
7. You might also recognise Melania Trump from her appearance alongside the Aflac duck in a 2005 mad-scientist-themed television commercial for Aflac, an American insurance company.
1. Donald Trump said Ivanka is his most influential adviser
2. Ivanka is Trump’s second daughter from his first marriage with Ivana
3. She graduated cum laude from University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business
4. She’s an executive vice president at the Trump Organization, and has appeared on multiple episodes of “The Apprentice”
5. She’s the author of a New York Times best-seller: “The Trump Card: Playing to Win in Work and Life”
6. She founded the Ivanka Trump Collection, an affordable fashion brand for working women
7. She has three young children with her husband, real estate developer Jared Kushner